Milford Sound in Queenstown is one of the most visited destinations in Fiordland. These waterfalls are also one of the greatest natural wonders situated in the Fiordland National Park in New Zealand. Milford Sound was carved by huge glaciers and created these stunning mountainous cliffs thousands of years ago. These falls plunge spectacularly from an endless height straight down into the ocean floor. Milford Sound gets its name from the Milford Haven in Wales. The falls are within the Fiordland National Park, of the Piopiotahi Marine Reserve and in the World Heritage site of Te Wahipounamu. Visitors and tourists are treated with scenic views and leisure activities when at Milford Sound.
Highlights of Milford Sound
- The falls are named after the Milford Haven in Wales.
- The falls were carves thousands of years ago by glaciers.
- The Milford Sound also features the iconic Mitre Peak.
- This peak is amongst the most photographed mountains n the world.
- The Milford Sound has also been awarded with the Travelers’ Choice Destinations Awards by TripAdvisor in 2008.
- The Milford sound is New Zealand’s most well-known tourist destination.
- Termed as the eighth wonder of the world by Rudyard Kipling.
Things to Do
- Cruising by boat.
- Soak in the dramatic beauty of this place.
- Wildlife viewing in their inhabit.
- Play with Dolphins.
- Experience the amazing water life which include seals, sea lions, fur seals and penguins.
- Bird watching.
- Day trips from Queenstown by coach, helicopter or plane.
How to Reach
By road: Milford Sound is just about a 5 hour drive from Queenstown. Visitors can also opt for a rented car to reach this wonderful destination.
Accommodation Options near Milford Sound
- Kinloch Lodge – Backpacker
- Distinction Queenstown Nugget Point Boutique Hotel and Spa
- Shotover Lodge
- Coronet Peak Hotel
- Tanoa Aspen Queenstown Hotels
- Trelawn Place
- Mercure Queenstown Resort
- Heritage Queenstown