Yumthang is a breathtaking valley situated in Northern Sikkim in India. This beautiful valley is surrounded by vast grazing pasture and snow caped Himalayan Mountains. Visitors get to see the mind-blowing views of Eastern Himalayas. The valley is located at a height of about 3,564 meters and is just 150 km from Gangtok, the state’s capital, which is another great tourist destination. The Yumthang Valley in Sikkim is popularly termed as the ‘Valley of Flowers’ as it is home to a wide species of flora and fauna.
An arm of the Teesta River flows near the valley and Lachung, which is the nearest inhabited center The Valley of Yumthang is closed to tourists from the month of December till March as the area experience heavy snowfall.
Highlights of The Yumthang Valley
- The valley is situated at a height of 3,564 meters
- Just 150 kilometers from Gangtok, state’s capital.
- Home to the Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary
- Features more than twenty-four species of the rhododendron which is also the state flower
- Offers great views of Eastern Himalayan range
Accommodation Options Near The Valley
- Welcome Heritage Denzong Regency
- Hotel Suhim Portico
- Nirvana Residency
- The Royal Plaza Gangtok
- Ttakshang Residency Hotel & Spa
- Denzong Inn
- Elgin Mount Pandim Pelling
- Elgin Nor-Khill Gangtok
- Hotel Sagorika
- Hotel Central
How to Reach The Valley
• Reaching the Yumthang Valley can be a little difficult as there is no direct way to reach. To go to the valley one has to first reach Gangtok. An official permission must be taken to go to the Valley. Since the valley is very close to the Indo-China border an official permission to visit is a must for everyone.
• By Air: The nearest air port is at Bagdogra in the state of West Bengal. This town is the connecting point to Darjeeling and Sikkim.
• By road: Prepaid taxies and buses are available to Gangtok. Visitors can reach Bagdogra which is located at just 124 kilometers from Gangtok.